What I Learned From Your Expert Nation (YEN)
Brooklyn Book Festival. Sept. 18, 2016
3 Tips to Getting Started
When does your book launch begin? When you start writing your book.
Every story begins by building relationships. Build relationships with those who can put you in touch with your reader.
Title of book is key.
5 Communication Channels
- Your Social Media: Use your Blog, Twitter, & Facebook to talk about your book.
- Your website: you have 40 seconds to get their attention.
- Your owned media—you control the message and branding.
- Your paid media: Ads on Facebook, or other media.
- Your earned media: your reviews
5 Tips on Guest Blogging
- Find leaders in your area and build a relationship
- Write about their blog
- Link to their blog
- Write to them
- Participate, comment, & compliment.
5 Tips on Website Development
- Get your own domain.
- Keep it simple.
- Menu options: Home, Book, Contact, & Media (images of book, your image, bio, etc.)
- A 30-second video
- Q&A about you and your book.
Establish A Mailing List
Your website should have an Email sign-up option (e.g. Mailchimp). It is known to result in high volume of sales.
Have your Facebook friends sign up for your e-mailing list
At speaking engagements, have a sign-in sheet and get email addresses.
Use it to direct traffic to your site
Have an Author Facebook Page with your name: Take out Ads. Post videos on ads. Target authors
4 Tips on Visibility in the Media
- Write essays & Op-Eds to make yourself known as an author.
- Your essay topics should be on leading news stories; contribute something relevant.
- Stay tuned to Pop Culture: read what people are writing about.
- Are you an expert in anything? Write on those topics
Support other writers and publicize them
Put a review on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other similar sites.
Tweet about them; promote them on Facebook.
META DATA: HELPFUL LINKS
Managing Metadata: Mastering Mountains of Minutiae by Mindy Klasky http://bit.ly/2cT4d5l
Mastering Metadata: The Key to Marketing Your Books by Carla King
Web Metadata and SEO
How to Optimize Your Meta-Titles, Descriptions and Keywords by Robin Burton
Seven Essential Content Marketing Lessons from Rand Fishkin’s Whiteboard Fridays by Michelle Lin Click here
Available in your neighborhood bookstores
Audio version available, narrated by author